Basketball for Coaches, shares that though "crossovers and dunks make spectators stand up from their seats and cheer and get players excited. It's defense that will have a bigger impact on the amount of success you have individually and as a team."
So here are some of the 47 defender tips that they encourage you to work on:
- Focus on Forcing Tough Shots
- Commit to Becoming a Great Defender
- Always Defend the Opposition’s Best Player
- Prepare Physically and Mentally to Play Great Defense
- Always Give Multiple Efforts
- Learn How to Close Out Correctly
- Watch Your Opponent’s Chest or Waist
- Stay Lower Than Your Opponent at All Times
- Know Your Opponent
- Be a Student of the Game
"Since few players put a focus on defense, doing so is one of the best opportunities a player has of separating themselves from the crowd and advancing from a mediocre player to a great player."
For details: 47 Basketball Defense Tips (Become a Great Defender)
For more information about the Basketball Camp at Purchase college, visit our program page which includes session dates, weekly itineraries, and enrollment information.
Image Credit: Future Stars Camps